Saturday, January 21, 2012

Another Week-Old Post

Went to Movistar yesterday, and turns out I need a Barcelona ID in order to sign up for an internet contract. THIS IS TYRANNY – I thought Franco died in the 70s?? Seriously though, fuck that guy. Host madre tells me that most of the buildings around here that look shitty (i.e. the blocky stone Cold War Russia looking pieces) are due to Franco, otherwise the city would be much more beautiful. I think it’s amazing regardless. Oh yeah, and as for internet, I’ll find some weefee around here until I get my Pompeu Fabra ID card, which will be good enough for signing up for a contract. Or so the girl at Movistar tells me.

I just got back from a run on the beach – that’s right, a RUN. On the goddamn BEACH. I don’t run, and I never see the beach. So this is a new thing for me. But Jesus Christ was it amazing. Not only do I feel great to be getting some exercise (I am generally found on the couch with a beer/burrito/both), but I literally just spent the past hour and a half running next to the crystalline, crashing coastline. SUCK IT, ALLITERATION.

Oh, and speaking of Pompeu Fabra, we had orientation yesterday. Shit was cool, and I found out I don’t have class until THE GODDAMN TWENTY THIRD OF JANUARY. Most kids are taking intensive Spanish language classes, and I guess I decided I just didn’t need them, which may or may not be la verdad. Also, it’s not required for Legal Studies students to take them. So, I have another week and a half to bullshit around this city and figure things out. That means constant exploring, beach runs, getting myself ultimately settled in, and last but not least checking out the killer night life here. On that note, I overshot a nap again last night and missed out on hitting another discoteca. No big deal, but I’m getting enefermo de – sick of – laying down to rest at 8pm and jolting awake at 4am wondering what happened. Maybe taking siestas earlier in the day is the key.

As for earlier today, after another 12-hour sleep sesh I woke up and hit the metro to get to the Plaza Universitat for a ISA-arranged bus tour of the city. Shit was FIRE. But get this – my dumb ass left my camera at home. So sucks for you guys! It’s all good though, I got a few shots with my iPhone. Is anyone as stupid as me and didn’t know you could zoom in with the iPhone camera? Jesus I’m dumb. Anyway, here are a few pics, and while I know I missed a lot of photo ops on the tour I DID get a few solid shots of Parque Güelle. This place was amazing, and merits another few visits for longer periods of time. Likely with a hash cig or two – sorry Mom and Dad. I promise I’m being smart. En serio, es la verdad.

So, like, anyway, check these out:

This is the GIGANTIC Olympic stadium way up on the mountainous part of the city. Place is seriously huge. There are stadiums everywhere in this city, and I can’t wait to check them all out.

They have these bike racks EVERYWHERE, and what you do is pay a monthly fee and you can ride any of them anywhere as long as they get locked up in one of these racks. Cool, huh? Those progressive Spanish bastards.

This is a smiling lobster. That is all.

This is a sculpture done by Roy Lichtenstein, called “Cabeza de Barcelona.” The Head of Barcelona. Totally pop art, dude.


This is the famous Sagrada Familia – Gaudí’s masterpiece. The detail is just fucking jaw dropping, and it won’t even by finished until around 2030 I believe. Gaudí is dead now – walked right into a tram actually, the poor, dumb, magnificent bastard – and another architect is taking on the project. I forget his name, but you can tell the difference between the old and new because while Gaudi’s work is more freeform and organic, the newer parts seem to be more structured and clean cut. Still, Gaudi left instructions as to how to finish it and they are following those. Although, my host mom tells me they couldn’t be deciphered until they were all put into some computer program.

AAANNNND, behold! Parc Güell! Appartently, Gaudi had intended for residences to be erected (haha, erected) here. But, obviously, it’s just a park. I mean, it’s not JUST a park – it’s a national landmark and one of the most amazing places I’ve seen. Again, these pictures don’t do it justice and I strongly suggest travelling halfway around the world to see them. But for now, my iPhone pictures will have to suffice. Thanks, Steve Jobs!




Totally made this my laptop background.


Philosopher's stone inside a crown symbolizing Catalunya.

Look at this little fucker. Just look at him. See that mullet? Don't you hate him? This goddamn little Russian kid kept running in and out of ALL OF MY PHOTOS. Also, this old dude who was a security guard had to blow his special Parc Güell whistle at him because this tiny tyrant kept climbing on shit. Where are his parents??





Mi amigo Bryan y yo. Notice the lack of Russian kid with mullet.
So, that’s it for now. And if anyway gives a shit, here is my class schedule beginning January 23rd and running through April 17th. Anything written in Spanish is taught in Spanish, and the other two are in English.

Monday/Wednesday
Poesía Hispánica (Spanish Poetry) 1-3pm
Derechos Humanos (Human Rights) 3-5pm

Tuesday/Thursday
Law, Justice and Legitimacy 3-5pm
Crime and Punishment in the US and EU 5-7pm

That’s right, putas. No Friday classes AND my schedule is phenomenal compared to any of you guys at UNL. Sounds like some of my law professors are top notch – taught at Princeton and whatnot. Also, Pompeu Fabra is one of the premier universities in Europe. I’m not trying to brag, but everything just sounds so great right now. On a final note, check out this video that the UPF students made. The campus has about 9,000 kids and I swear to God all of them are in this. Like, how professional is this shit? UPF recently added another building that they share with professional media companies so I guess that explains it.

RELATED: I’m just going to go head and assume each day of classes will be like this. That, or everyone that goes here is constantly dropping acid. Only one way to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment